Hash browns aren’t typically considered a health food. Usually made with lots of shredded white potatoes (blood sugar spike included) plus a hefty amount of oil or butter, these crispy, salty brunch faves really should be skipped….unless you do a nice little makeover, like this one. Adding zucchini cuts down on the starch without sacrificing flavor, plus it’s low in calories and full of vitamins. I subbed in a white sweet potato (white inside with purple skin) for regular spuds, but feel free to use a large red potato or baking potato, or even a regular sweet potato. Its flesh was very firm and had little liquid, which I think, helped it get nice and crispy. I was intrigued by this little bit of trivia about the white sweet potato and wanted to give it a try. TRIVIA: An extract (known as caiapo) from white sweet potatoes is a promising type 2 diabetes treatment, and has been shown to improve many markers of metabolic disease. In fact, locals in Japan commonly ate white sweet potatoes raw as a treatment for anemia, hypertension, and diabetes. – Precision Nutrition
It's absolutely critical that you squeeze the living daylights out of your zucchini and potato! You'll end up with a perfectly crispy hash brown if you do.
I've been asked in the past...how do you shred your potatoes? I use a box cheese grater. I don't recommend a fine shred; you'll produce far too much liquid. Just go with the regular size.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 12 minutes
- Yield : 1
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and shred it to measure one cup. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Peel the potato. Shred to measure 1 cup. Lay on a plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Plug in a waffle iron and set to medium-high.
- Press the potato several times with a paper towel to blot dry.
- Use a clean dish towel to squeeze out liquid from zucchini.
- Place zucchini and potato into a medium bowl. Stir in egg whites, onion, ghee and garlic powder until well combined.
- Generously spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon mixture across the iron and flatten so it covers the entire thing. Close iron and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until there's little to no steam escaping.
- Carefully remove hash brown (it should pop right out in one piece) and sprinkle with salt & pepper, and serve.