VEGAN NICE CREAM! It doesn’t have to be vegan…it totally depends on the protein powder you use. Not all vegan powders are tasty; many taste chalky, so be sure you love the one you have. Alternatively, use why, as it is the best tasting. I have also used chocolate egg white protein powder. I like the vegan chocolate brand by Thorne. We also like Vega One. If you are thinking…gosh, I don’t have xanthan gum, nor do I want to buy it, don’t worry. It is added to thicken up the ice cream a bit, but it isn’t necessary. If you like your ice cream really solid, simply remove the ice cream after it’s done churning and place in a big bowl with a lid and stick in the freezer for 2 hours or so. Have fun with the mix ins…you can totally change the flavor profile with your mix ins.
If you do not wish to use protein powder, you don't have to. Just add a bit more cacao powder and do some mix ins.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : chill 20 minutes
- Yield : 8
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cashew milk
- 1/2 cup zero-calorie sweetener - (like monk fruit or erythritol or stevia, to taste- maybe even dates)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 2 teaspoons cacao nibs (optional)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak the cashews in the water for 6 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Place remaining ingredients into a large blender and process for two minutes or until completely smooth. Include add-in items here too.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. Ice cream should be firm within 20 minutes. Scoop into 8 small frozen bowls.
- Mix in ideas: mint extract, coconut, Lily's sugar-free chocolate chips, fresh raspberries, 10 coffee beans