Cauliflower crust, to me, is the best invention since sliced bread. Not that I ever lived in a time where bread wasn’t sliced, but the saying fits. I love it because it is gluten-free, way lower in carbs and full of good vitamins and fiber. The only drawback is that it’s usually quite delicate, labor intensive and doesn’t always hold up well. I mean, it’s fine to eat pizza with a fork, but it’s nice to be able to eat it the old fashioned way. I discovered a wonderful trick that not only makes the crust drier and sturdier, but much higher in protein as well. There are only a few ingredients needed for this filling recipe that will fool just about anyone into thinking it’s the real deal. You can watch me make it here.
I have a secret way to make your crust hold up better than ever! AND I'll save you 15 minutes! Most people roast their cauliflower first...but I am here to tell you: you don't need to!
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Yield : 4
- 1 small head cauliflower - or 1 bag florets from Trader Joe's
- scant 3/4 cup almond flour - I didn't need a full 3/4 cup, but it will depend on your cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast - (optional)
- 2 scoops egg white powder - (DO not sub egg whites!)
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup roasted red bell peppers - (about 1/2 a bell pepper)
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large food processor, add the cauliflower florets (dispose of the stems), almond flour, oregano, salt and garlic powder.
- Process until you get fine crumbs.
- Add in the egg and pulse to combine. Add the nutritional yeast, if using. Mixture should be slightly wet.
- Pulse in egg white powder.
- Coat a silicone baking sheet with cooking spray. Form two circular crusts on the mat, spreading to 1/2" thick. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- In a mini blender, add all sauce ingredients. Process until smooth.
- When crusts come out of the oven, spread sauce all over both crusts.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings. We like kalamata olives, fresh spinach, sliced organic chicken sausage, green onion and 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. (Feel free to use cheese!)
- Place back into oven for 5 minutes. Remove, cool slightly and enjoy!