Fried coconut shrimp is definitely on the "do not eat list" if you're trying to maintain, or lose body fat. This recipe is so close to the real thing, however, that you absolutely can partake, have zero guilt, and not even miss the fried-factor. Serve with some healthy veggies, like asparagus, on the side.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 4
- 1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, tails on
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper - (red pepper)
- 1 packet stevia in the raw
- 1/2 cup low fat coconut shreds - I use Let's Do Organic brand
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- Peanut Sate sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 2 tablespoons powdered PB - (low fat peanut butter that is in powdered form
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut almond milk - I use Almond Breeze
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce, tamari or Bragg's aminos
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts - (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Clean, devein and rinse shrimp in cold water; drain on paper towels until dry.
- Combine cornstarch, salt, and red pepper in a shallow dish; stir with a whisk. Place the egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes). Mix both coconuts in a shallow dish and add the stevia. Stir well.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge in cornstarch mixture. Dip in egg white; dredge in coconut, pressing gently with fingers. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with coconut oil cooking spray. Repeat with remaining shrimp, cornstarch mixture, egg white, and coconut. Lightly coat shrimp with coconut oil cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning after 10 minutes.
- To make the sate sauce: Spray a pan with cooking spray and toss in the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add in the milk, powdered PB and peanut butter. Whisk until it begins to thicken up. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until thickened. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with peanuts.