Gosh I love it when my kids cannot stop eating my healthiest meals. I wasn’t sure if they’d love, like, or simply tolerate the zucchini in this form, but they went to town! This is a really simple meal that felt quite satisfying and had many layers of texture and flavor. Browning meat takes just a few minutes, and slicing your zucchini, just a few more minutes. The oven does the rest. The serving is two zucchini boats. If you feel you need more, add some healthy carbs to the side, like quinoa, black beans, a side salad, or roasted broccoli. Enjoy!
Before the oven
After the oven
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Yield : 4
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground bison, chicken, turkey or lean beef - (I use bison)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (or use ½ cup shredded cheese)
- ½ cup fresh spinach, torn
- ¼ cup olives, sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add meat and break it apart to crumbles. Add the salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, then add sauce and cook until no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes).
- As the meat cooks, cut the ends off the zucchini, then cut in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the fleshy center of each zucchini half, leaving a ¼-inch thick zucchini boat.
- Place the zucchini in the baking dish cut-side up.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini boats. Press the mixture down into the zucchini using the back of the spoon. Sprinkle Nutritional yeast or cheese on top
- Sprinkle with spinach, and top with olives.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, and serve.