I have had several requests for “football food” and I couldn’t think of a better finger food than this. They’re one bite wonders filled with protein, healthy fat…and bacon! They’re also super easy, which is what you need if you’re throwing a party or bringing something with you. Mushrooms are a great low-calorie vehicle for all kinds of foods. They’re high in Vitamin D, selenium, promote immune function and contain antioxidants. The healthy fat comes in the form of avocado, and the sprinkle of bacon adds a little crispiness and a hit of salty-smokey goodness. I cannot predict just how many mushrooms will come in your container, or how big or small they might be. I had one container come with 20 and the other come with 16. The size of them will dictate how much chicken you can stuff in them, and how much guacamole you can place on top. So don’t get married to the exact numbers I placed down below. Just fill them nicely and make them look pretty:)
See... perfect finger food!
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 36 minutes
- Yield : APPROX 36
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place bacon in a glass dish in a single layer.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy (time depends on thickness).
- Transfer the bacon to plate lined with paper towels to drain, blot and finish crisping.
- Crumble into small bits and set aside. Don't turn off the oven temp!
- Wash and de-stem the mushrooms. Dry completely.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and garlic powder.
- Spray a large glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place mushrooms inside. Fill mushroom cavities with the chopped chicken. Bake for 18 minutes on a low rack.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and place on a serving platter. Top each one with about 1 teaspoon of guacamole. Sprinkle bacon bits on top. Sprinkle bell pepper over the tops and around the platter for a pop of color.