My kids thought it was pretty cool that we made actual crispy crackers together. They look and taste a lot like Wheat Thins, except they’re gluten-free, and we can pronounce all three of the whole-food ingredients. Not only are these easy, and healthy, but making them with kids is super fun because they get to use two things they love: their hands and a rolling pin. You can buy almond meal just about anywhere these days. I like the Trader Joe’s variety.
I do believe the seasoning you use makes a big difference in this recipe. Go wild with your favorite herbs and flavors. I was dying to use a dry spice I'd ordered from FlavorGod called 'Pizza.' But if you don't have that, don't worry. A bit of garlic powder, onion powder and garlic salt should do the trick.
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 4 tablespoons liquid egg whites
- 1/2 tablespoon Pizza seasoning - (or garlic powder, onion powder and garlic salt)
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
- Vegan Cheesy Pizza Dip
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon FlavorGod 'Pizza' seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond meal, egg white and seasonings. Stir well until a dough is formed.
- Place dough on a large sheet of wax paper and top with another sheet.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/8" thick.
- Lay flattened dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Score with a pizza cutter.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until crispy.
- Once removed from oven, crackers will continue to crisp slightly.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Soak cashews in the 2 cups of water for 4-6 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add nuts to a mini-blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, scraping sides several times.
- Place into a small bowl and serve with crackers.